Monday, September 5, 2011

My Grandmother's Aprons


I was fortunate to receive my Grandmother's aprons after she died. I remember being a very small child in Grandma's kitchen, and the very grown-up feeling of tying on an apron for "real work" - which usually involved washing doll cups in a basin of clean water.
 
Grandma purchased these hand-sewn aprons in the 1950s and 1960s from an agency that employed blind seamstresses. I note the tidy hems and seams, and I cannot imagine sewing such fine seams without sight.

I love them for their cheery colors, and for the memories. And I create new memories when my various wee nieces wear these same aprons for our kitchen work.

Because aprons - even very lovely vintage aprons - are for working.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting - I enjoy a courteous conversation!