Sunday, February 28, 2010

Thoughts on What Makes a Family

What makes a family?

It is not simply a matter of legal contract (marriage) plus off-spring...what of those who, for one reason or another, cannot biologically have children of their own? If they adopt, are they not creating family?

My own experience of family is one of reassortments and blessings. I have my son, and with the love of other family members we created our own family. I have loved ones who have adopted, and in doing so they brought home a child and created their family with every bit as much right and blessing as I created mine.

Family is not simply a matter of passing on genetic material. Family is love, is choices made and not made, is sacrifices made, is about realising more is passed on thru love than thru genes...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting - I enjoy a courteous conversation!