Wednesday, November 27, 2013

I am Grateful for... Nov 27 '13


As the Thanksgiving holiday draws near, I am reminded to pause and reflect - to count my blessings - to recognize the goodness in my life.  This Thanksgiving, I am grateful for by:

Grandbaby-to-be - my first grandson is due any day now...

A glorious Thanksgiving feast, shared once again with aunts and uncles and cousins and brothers and sisters-in-law and children and lots of wee ones - so many families in our culture are fractured...by distance, by disagreements or misunderstandings, and sometimes, sadly, by death or real misfortune. My family is so very blessed to be together for Thanksgiving!

Turkey I - I love a good roasted turkey...the savory aroma, the golden crispy skin, the tender meat, the leftovers, turkey pie and turkey soup and all sorts of turkey dishes afterwards. How fortunate we are to have a local supply of inexpensive turkeys, when for some a turkey is an insurmountable cost...

Turkey  II - I earned a free turkey this year and gave it away to younger couple who were dumbfounded by the cost of a bird and were discussing they might stretch a chicken...they have no clue who gave them the free bird, the cashier helped me to pass along the kindness...(big smile)

Turkey III - There were years that the "free earned turkey" was the only way my famiy was going to have turkey at Thanksgiving, so I am grateful to the shops that offered this bonus. Yes, its a way to ensure sending loyalty...but if I am going to buy my groceries there anyway, why not toss in a turkey now and then?

Wee nieces and cousins to share Thanksgiving fun with - tomorrow, I will be happily gluing red and orange and yellow construction paper "feathers" onto brown "turkeys"...glue sticks will be glorified...crayons and paper will keep the grumpies at bay...and how lucky am I to have beautiful wee ones to share all the fun with?

Each year at Thanksgiving dinner, we go around the table and take turns sharing what we are grateful for. What are you grateful for?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting - I enjoy a courteous conversation!