Monday, February 23, 2015

What is Repentance? Not what you might think!



During Lent, we are called to repent - but what is repentance?

REPENTANCE implies CONVICTION and A CHANGE OF HEART.

When we repent, we LOOK at what we have done or said or allowed, we accept responsibility, and we CHANGE. We STOP the grievous behavior. 

There is no REPENTANCE without CHANGE.


The Hebrew word used for repentance is μετάνοια (metanoia) - a word that mean to CHANGE - to CONVERT from one state of mind and heart to another - to make a FUNDAMENTAL alteration to one's life.

REPENTANCE IS CA CALL TO CHANGE - we LAY ASIDE our old selves and TAKE ON a new self - a new me, changed by God's call.

Much has been made of being sorrowful - but John and Jesus and Paul did not tell us to be sorrowful, they told us to CHANGE who we are, to take this new heart and new mind, to take up our journey of the Cross.

I fin dit much easier to be sorrowful than to change - I'm sure many of us do. So much easier to ask, "Forgive me Father, for I have sinner..." than the say that, MEAN it, and then TURN AWAY from my sins - to live anew.

Like the Adulteress, I am asked to go and sin no more - but can I - do I?

By leaning on God, by taking the time to reflect, by praying, with His Grace

I CAN CHANGE - AND SO CAN YOU!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting - I enjoy a courteous conversation!