Friday, April 2, 2010

Good Friday

Today is the most solemn and serious day in the Catholic Liturgical calendar: Good Friday.

A day for prayer and fasting and meditation.

A day for reflection. 

As a child, I found Good Friday hard to comprehend. As an adult, I am certain of one thing: that my understanding is not as perfect as I may think, "for now we see through a glass, darkly".

But that in itself is comforting to me. I don't have to fully understand God's plan. I don't have to understand how He "perfects" our tragedies and our mistakes and our sinful actions to His will.

I can simply accept it. 

This Easter, dear friends are grieving: it is their first Easter after the loss of their children.  

All of their children. 

And I know they are not alone, for friends in Haiti have told me of similar stories: men and women bent in grief over the loss of beloved children. I know it is a bitter story repeated across our broken world.

Please pray with me that in their grief the Promise of the Resurrection will bring them a measure of peace and comfort.

2 comments:

  1. *all their children*? The sorrow must be unimaginable. Prayers for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Deb, Yes, *all* of their children - three beautiful little girls. Its heartbreaking - and every parent's worst nightmare! Thanks for the prayers ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - I enjoy a courteous conversation!