Friday, May 15, 2009

Patience

"A man of knowledge uses words with restraint, and a man of understanding is even-tempered. Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent, and discerning if he holds his tongue." Proverbs 17-27-28

Today I am being tested and have failed miserably so far. I have lashed out in "self-righteous" anger when provoked by a loved one, and allowed myself to indulge in a petty tantrum before leaving for work. Not exactly a loving, Christian start to the day!

How many times do we allow ourselves to wallow in self-righteousness or pity, and lash out with our tongues in anger and cruelty, rather than practicing patience and forbearance and compassion? I know that while I have grown in God's grace over the years, this is still an issue for me.

And why not? I am human and imperfect - it is only by God's grace that I have any patience and compassion at all! But that can be a slippery slope of reasoning! "I'm imperfect so its ok if I slip up". No! It isn't! It is never "ok" to speak words of cruelty in anger, regardless of what we may see as provocation.

It is my task, when so provoked, to turn to the Lord for patience better than my own. He, who is so patient with my many failings, can easily lend me grace to more effectively and lovingly deal with my petty grievances!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting - I enjoy a courteous conversation!